About Me

My photo
Mum of Ella (6) Oliver (2) and William (6months) and idylically married. I am proud of my career in education and love to be active. I was born and grew up in England but currently live just outside of NYC. I have premature osteo-arthritis, with no known cause (physical inujury or genetic link).

Friday, March 2, 2012

A new hip! Brought to you by Stryker TM

Husband Chris here... Trudy was experiencing technical difficulties in the hospital and requested I provide an update. I’m pleased to report the surgery went well according to the doctor. First night was painful with little sleep complicated by nausea from the pain medication.  I was however blown away by Trudy, very slowly and with the help of a walker, making her way unassisted to and from the bathroom less than 24 hrs post op.  Baby steps for the time being but still encouraging.  Trudy was implanted with a titanium hip from Stryker Corporation. Hard to believe one of the Terminator like objects on Stryker’s website is now a permanent part of my wife’s beautiful body. That said, they look very resilient. Useful life is quoted as 15-20 years but as expained, there are no statistics to support this claim because you have to wait 15 years for the data and it's more likely they may last much longer.  Hopefully we'll never see the hip or it will be many decades before we meet again.  Hoping to have Trudy back home on Sunday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment