About Me

My photo
Mum of Ella (6) Oliver (2) and William (6months) and idylically married. I am proud of my career in education and love to be active. I was born and grew up in England but currently live just outside of NYC. I have premature osteo-arthritis, with no known cause (physical inujury or genetic link).

Friday, March 23, 2012

first swim and leg length

So, first swim today.  I was nervous, with images racing through my mind of myself not being able to climb in / out of the pool on the ladder and flying backward into the pool, arms flailing.  But it was ok; getting in a little easier than getting out.  After getting changed I walked past the mirror on the way to the pool and was distracted by my scar below the swimsuit line and the ugly bumpy swelling around it.  Not a great visual but it’ll change over time and is something I’ve decided not to dwell on.  The benefits outweigh the negatives.  Swimming felt great; I started with a strange version of breast stroke whilst I got my confidence up.  Then I used a pull buoy to support my legs whilst I free styled up and down.  How nice to move without using constant conscious thought and effort on how to do it correctly.  I wasn’t the fastest in the pool (am I ever?) but I certainly had the biggest smile when my 25 mins were up.   
 I am getting increasingly concerned that my legs are not the same length, with my operated leg being longer.  Dr Davidovitch said after the surgery he was pleased because that they were the same and so I hadn’t really given it much thought until the last couple of days….  He is an amazing surgeon and I am sure it is not easy to chop off part of someone’s femur and replace it with metal, plastic and ceramic and end up with two legs the same length.  However I am finding that as I stand straight with two feet together pointing forwards I need to bend my right leg in order not to tilt my hips. It is easier to stand with my left heel off the ground.  This seems to be pretty common with options such as redoing the operated leg, wearing supports in the opposite shoe (how does that work with stilettos?) and, waiting until the other leg is operated on and making that one longer to match.  It may also be due to muscles and will correct itself.   Hmmm,   I’ll see what my outpatient physiotherapist and podiatrist have to say on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment