About Me

My photo
Mum of Ella (6) Oliver (2) and William (6months) and idylically married. I am proud of my career in education and love to be active. I was born and grew up in England but currently live just outside of NYC. I have premature osteo-arthritis, with no known cause (physical inujury or genetic link).

Monday, March 5, 2012

First Full Day At Home

I got very disillusioned last night about how many of my everyday basic activities I am currently unable to do.  Its the first time since booking the surgery back in the Autumn that I've felt that low about it all.

It took a long time when I went to bed to arrange the pillows in a way that I could get into the bed and that would hopefully be comfortable for the whole night.  After that I slept so well, only waking up once for more pain meds. 

Today went really well.  I pottered around the house with my walker and using one crutch on the stairs.  As its impossible to get up or down stairs without someone to carry my walker for me, I had to organise my time to make sure that whenever the babysitter went out with the children I was in the part of the house that I wanted to be.  It is impossible to carry anything and use a walker so I contemplated using a backpack to cart things around but ended up attatching a giftbag which I can get things in and out of easily to the walker, as well as my waterbottle with a ribbon.  Now my cell phone, magazine etc are not always in the wrong place once I've lowered myself into a chair.  And my walker looks a little less hospital-like.

The pain is minimal so long as I keep up with the oxycodine. 
 I think I deserve a glass of wine though tonight to go with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment