About Me

My photo
Mum of Ella (6) Oliver (2) and William (6months) and idylically married. I am proud of my career in education and love to be active. I was born and grew up in England but currently live just outside of NYC. I have premature osteo-arthritis, with no known cause (physical inujury or genetic link).

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

6 days after surgery


I feel as though my leg is full of metal!!  I don't know whether it is the metal inside I feel or just the 15 staples on the outside, but it certainly feels weird: heavy, unresponsive, like there really is a metal pole in there somewhere stopping me from bending and moving properly.  However, as my 2 year old Oliver says, the incision does look “cooooool…like a train track”.
I’ve had the visiting nurse in for her visit; she is allotted 3 visits but says she doesn’t think she needs to come again unless I feel there’s a problem. That has to be a good sign.  She checked through my medications and confirmed that the needles that I have to inject my blood thinner with each night are not larger than those the hospital used.  Thankfully Chris does this and he is oblivious to my wincing, loudly.  
The Physiotherapist was also in.  She checked out the house, the stairs, front door steps.  She also left me a series of exercises to do three times a day, all of which are unchallenging and painless except for lifting my foot vertically upwards when I am sitting. This seemingly simple maneuver is still proving absolutely impossible. I feel totally paralyzed attempting that.  
I have been using the crutches 80% of the time today, abandoning my walker.  I even made it to visit two neighbours for a cuppa during the day. It felt so good to be outside, it was worth it even if I do feel a little extra sore this evening. 
I kept on top of the four-hour medications and have felt positive all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment