About Me

My photo
Mum of Ella (6) Oliver (2) and William (6months) and idylically married. I am proud of my career in education and love to be active. I was born and grew up in England but currently live just outside of NYC. I have premature osteo-arthritis, with no known cause (physical inujury or genetic link).

Thursday, March 15, 2012

2 weeks post surgery

It feels hard to believe that this time two weeks ago I was in the operating room – ready to start the journey of pain, frustration, re-learning, and accomplishments.
Today I celebrated my two-week-old hip with a walk in the sun, approximately 20mins, using only one crutch.  I even managed to get my own shoes and socks on (no laces though).   My PT has been directing me to slow down and stop ‘bolting from one place to another’, but to think about how I am moving. Stand up straight, hips aligned, heel down first, go slow.    It’s amazing to be out, walking properly!
I am walking around the house using no crutches which feels great, and am mastering stairs with only one foot per stair.   I am still having trouble sleeping (but what parent doesn’t anyway) and I lie awake waiting for the next four hourly pain medication.  My PT thinks that the reason some of my exercise are still so difficult – basically anything involving lifting my leg vertically – is to do with my abdominals still being so weak after having the baby last summer.  I trained my leg and arms muscles well for the post-surgery recovery with all the biking and swimming but certainly slacked off on abdominals …maybe this will motivate me….  On the plus side I have to replace all my trainers and soft soled shoes as they are molded to fit my previous hip alignment.  Continuing to wear them will be detrimental to recovering and learning to walk correctly with my new hip and could cause trouble with my left hip and my knees.  A great excuse for shopping once I can get shoes on and off easily in the shop. 
Chris and I have finally clued into the fact that the reason my blood thinner injections are so painful some nights and fine on others is more to do with how recently I took pain meds than with how /where he inserts the needle. 
 I am looking forward to heading into the city tomorrow to see Dr Davidovitch and, though I’m not looking forward to the staples coming out, I’m keen to hear how he rates my progress.  Hopefully he’ll be pleased and allow me to start driving.  Life will really feel as though its getting back to normal then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment