About Me

My photo
Mum of Ella (6) Oliver (2) and William (6months) and idylically married. I am proud of my career in education and love to be active. I was born and grew up in England but currently live just outside of NYC. I have premature osteo-arthritis, with no known cause (physical inujury or genetic link).

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Day three after surgery

Day 3
A painful night which left me sitting in a chair for large chunks of it. The day was a small improvement in yesterday though, and psychologically, just knowing I was going home really motivated me. I got to see my incision site: about 7cm long, stapled every 3 mm with small metal staples.  I didnt have time to count them before the resident quickly strapped on the new dressing.  I had PT exercises and practice on stairs and walking, and needed  help with dressing to leave.  It will be a while before I can do that alone.  It took a while for the the usual hospital paperwork to be completed before I could be wheeled out of the hospital to Chris waiting in the car.  The drive was uncomfortable, though Chris did his best, and it was lovely to get home!  The children were satisfyingly pleased to see me, with Ella having made life-size anatomical drawings of how the inside of my body now looks.
It is wonderful to be home and I know I will heal much faster here and feel better mentally, even if the house is already presenting challenges that we hadnt forseen (such as there is a handrail only on the left side of the stairs which makes going up easy but down difficult).  I still feel as though I have no idea of the timeline for the recovery so Chris and I spent a long time discussing what additional assistive devices it would be worth getting hold of before deciding on none (we have the walker and the crutches  - which I am not ready to use yet). 
I had a glorious deep sleep this afternoon on my own bed and now am looking forward to a night of no bloodpressure / temperature / blood draws and 5 am enforced washes. 
It was wonderful to have Chris prepare, serve and clean up our family Sunday dinner but I know how frustrated I'll soon feel about him having to do all the work looking after me and the children all weekend after working all week himself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment