About Me

My photo
Mum of Ella (6) Oliver (2) and William (6months) and idylically married. I am proud of my career in education and love to be active. I was born and grew up in England but currently live just outside of NYC. I have premature osteo-arthritis, with no known cause (physical inujury or genetic link).

Monday, March 12, 2012

11 days after surgery

I’m  loving the spring weather we’re getting – particularly because I can get outside and enjoy it. I feel amazed by the fact that I can already walk very comfortably on the crutches.  I even managed a walk around the block with Oliver yesterday (a two year old seemed like a compatible pace – of course once he decided to make a bolt for it there was no way I could catch him so maybe it wasn’t the best decision ever).
I can now shower, get in and out of bed relatively easily, and have started to hobble slowly using no crutches around the bathroom or kitchen.  I have a weird swaying motion and its very slow but hey, I can make a cup of tea and carry it to the table to drink it sitting down instead of standing by the kettle. 
I am still living on four hourly pain medication of acetaminophen and oxycodone which makes me happy and mobile, sleepy, mellow, then grumpy, irritable and increasingly fidgety as I cycle through to the next dose.  I try to time phone calls, activities with the children and going to bed at the right times in the cycle.  (I imagine my family is working out when to be near and when to avoid me too).  Having said this, most of the time there is remarkably little pain when I think that just 11 days ago Dr Davidovitch was sawing off the top of my thigh bone.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Trudy. You really are superwoman! Bionic now too! We are thinking of you you and continue to be in awe of your strength and positive attitude. No doubt in our minds you will be up there at the front for that triathalon in July! Routing for you and sending lots of love Kim Andrew Lila and Ruby x

    ReplyDelete