About Me

My photo
Mum of Ella (6) Oliver (2) and William (6months) and idylically married. I am proud of my career in education and love to be active. I was born and grew up in England but currently live just outside of NYC. I have premature osteo-arthritis, with no known cause (physical inujury or genetic link).

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Symmetry Physical Therapy and Tri ‘Training’

I am in my 8th week of physiotherapy now; the first two being in-home physio and from then on 2-3 times per week at Symmetry.  http://www.symmetrypt.com/p_main.html      Choosing your physiotherapy company and physiotherapist is really important.  I based my choices on (as always) location – driving is baby-sitter money, and on what I perceived to be their sports emphasis. 
I am really pleased with where I go.  We work twice a week now and have built up to over 2 hour sessions which include stretching, marching with weights attached, 80lb leg press, elliptical, clam shells, hip raises, and balance exercises (including my personal favorite – the one where I balance on a sponge mat on one leg whilst assorted trainers throw balls at me  to catch - I’m very bad at this but would have been pre-op anyway).  
The physiotherapists there are all incredibly good. I work with Gary Abano who is very knowledgeable, he listens to my body’s progress, doesn’t let me push too hard, yet at the same time keeps moving me forward and adjusting my work each week. 
 On top of the physio I am managing to swim once or twice a week and I just reached the 1 mile mark, still swimming with a pull-buoy. At the gym I bike for about 40 minutes twice a week and am desperate to get outside on my bike – still not recommended but it had better be soon! I can walk non-stop for over an hour (outside of course – can’t comprehend using a running machine indoors).  I have started to build up the time on the elliptical machine.  It may only be 15 mins right now but I’ve been unable to run for well over three years and this is really hard work believe me!  I am hoping that this is working towards that first fabulous outdoor run one day (just a short one . not far or fast honest)   … fingers tightly crossed.

1 comment:

  1. symmetry therapy is good treatment as compared to deal with high douse medicine. bcoz medicines can case many reaction in body .but therapy make u fit and relax. good work on body therapy. keep it up.

    ReplyDelete