About Me

My photo
Mum of Ella (6) Oliver (2) and William (6months) and idylically married. I am proud of my career in education and love to be active. I was born and grew up in England but currently live just outside of NYC. I have premature osteo-arthritis, with no known cause (physical inujury or genetic link).

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

one day to go

The day has been so busy as usual that I havent had time to think about tomorrow, let alone pack, read, prepare.  It's now 10:45 and I've got nothing ready for tomorrow.
This evening I was starting to get nervous though, but when tucking in Ella for bed she looked at me and said " mummy will you ever be able to run around again?". Seriously, she did!  I never thought my arthritis had impacted on what I did with the children in a way that they would notice but children are always more astute than we give them credit for.   Anyway, I am no longer nervous, just back to feeling again that this is not just 'a vain or selfish option' , something that I should live with for longer rather than put my family through this.
I have worries about tomorrow but they are not about the important things.  How big will the scar be? Will it look really ugly?  How long will I have to walk around using crutches? What if the children run off with the crutches?  Should I move the things I like to eat to the top shelf of the fridge so I can reach them easily?  What should I wear home from the hospital? Leggings are comfy but if theres an enormous bandage at the top of my leg I wont be able to get them on...  Will I be able to get socks on with the assistive device?  I hate having cold feet.  Would it be awful to ask the doctor for an extra night in the hospital - I could really do with a break and an extra good night's sleep. Or will they wake me up all night to check I'm alive like they do after you've had a baby?
As I say, not the important things.   Time to take a shower and wipe myself down with all those wipes they gave me.  Hope I dont wake up having nightmares about knives and that crazy operating table they use for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment